The creation of the park of Belvedere, drawn by Joseph OF LAFORCADE architect-landscape designer, gardener in chief of the town of Paris, was approved by the municipal council of the town of Tunis in 1892.
The choice of the site related to a hill of olive grove, private property (Habous), located on the road of Ariana
plantation and alteration work was completed by 1897.Pendant a whole decade, Belvedere was entirely closed with the public in order to make it possible the vegetation to develop under optimal conditions, and this until in 1910, official date of its unveiling.
Since its opening to the public, the park became the place of walk and attraction preferred of Tunisians. One there organized balls, races of cars, processions military, etc the “plate”, culminating point of the park, joined together all the Sunday picnickers and players of game of bowls.
First large park whose town of Tunis was equipped, the Belvedere remains the largest city park of Tunis, it is implied more and more in the conservation of the biodiversity and contributes significantly to the protection of the vegetable and animal inheritance.(1)