It is one of the many fortifications that are scattered all along the Tunisian coast, military works which were used in the defense of the coast. The borj
– bastion – was erected in the year 893. Around 1463, it was considerably enlarged to also serve as the residence of the governor of the city.
At the end of the 16th century, it underwent important modifications to adapt it to firearms. The monument was transformed into a barracks after the establishment of the French protectorate over Tunisia in 1881.
In its current state, the citadel takes the shape of a distorted square of 50m. side flanked at the angles of four projections. A single door gives access to it through a double bend hallway. The courtyard is lined with cells that served as a prison and as a store; in its middle stands the mausoleum of Sidi Bouali, a warrior monk from the end of the 15th century.