It is the necropolis of the reigning princes of the Husseinite dynasty and their families. This dynasty ruled Tunisia from 1705 to 1957.
The monument dates from the second half of the 18th century. Imposing, of irregular quadrangular shape, it is pierced on the exterior side by rectangular windows. Its terrace was decorated with cupolas, the main ones of which were covered with round green tiles in the shape of scales.
Access is through a monumental door which opens onto a large hall, the decoration of which shows a clear Italian influence. This will be confirmed inside the monument while blending in with the Ottoman style that appears in the main room where the reigning princes were buried and which itself is the distant reflection of the plan of Saint Sophia in Turkey. A patio covered with slabs and dotted with burials separates the hall from the main room and gives access to other rooms, some of which communicate with each other. There lie relatives and relatives of the sovereigns, the deceased males being recognizable by the hairstyle carved in marble and surmounting the epitaph and the women being identified by simple plaques.
The ceilings, sometimes in the form of a vault, sometimes developed as a dome, are embellished with geometric and vegetal decorations chiseled in the stucco, sometimes polychrome. The walls are generally lined with ceramic tiles.